Apply through SOPHAS by December 15, 2022 to be considered for the next entry cohort.
A completed MPH or MSPH degree that matches your chosen specialization area in our PhD program:
- Epidemiology matches considered: MPH in Epidemiology, Population Health, Global Epidemiology, or related area
- Social & Behavioral Health Science matches considered: MPH in Social/Behavioral Health, Community Health, Global Health, or related area.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you completed an MPH in a school/program that is not accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH), you will be required to complete an additional course as part of our PhD program that addresses some CEPHrequired competencies. The list of CEPH-accredited schools and programs is at www.ceph.org (See “Who We Accredit”).
A GPA in the master’s degree that demonstrates strong graduate-level academic success, which is normally 3.0 or higher
GRE scores that indicate strong graduate-level academic abilities. The scores of most successful applicants are at least 300 (quant+verb) and 3.5 (writing) with score percentiles being an important consideration (not just the raw score). We do NOT waive the GRE for any applicants.
Non-native English speakers must meet Baylor’s English proficiency requirements.
Two letters of recommendation from former/current professors who can describe your academic abilities, work ethic, and professional maturity.
Resume or CV
Research interest that matches one of our research-active faculty members in the chosen specialization.
- Review faculty bios here and name those with whom you’d like to work in your statement of purpose (#9 below).
- You may be invited to interview with interested faculty members to discuss a possible graduate assistantship position with them. They will need to be able to see your application materials in the SOPHAS system and may ask you to send writing samples to them
- You must complete a full application (and meet all criteria) and secure a commitment from a willing faculty mentor to be offered program admission.
- Evidence of experience in research and/or scholarly writing is preferred, but not required.
Statement of Purpose that addresses the following.
- Why do you want to pursue this degree? How is your rationale supported by current literature?
- With which members of our public health faculty would you like to work? Explain why.
- Describe academic and/or personal experiences that have led you to pursue doctoral study in public health, and specifically social and behavioral health science or epidemiology.
- What are your professional goals and career aspirations?
- Why is Baylor University the best institution for you to pursue your PhD study?